Workers' Compensation

Workers' compensation is a no-fault insurance program that pays benefits to employees who sustain work-related injuries or illnesses.

If you are injured at work you must report your injury as soon as possible! You must report your injury to your supervisor and to the workers' compensation coordinator on campus. You must complete the Employee statement regarding injury/illness form. This form should be completed within 24 hours of the injury or illness.

Supervisors must complete the Injury/Illness Data Form within 24 hours of receiving notice of injury or illness. Supervisors should refer to the Supervisors Workers' Compensation Checklist for detailed instructions on reporting employee related injuries and illness. Further information about the workers’ compensation process can be found at the Minnesota Department of Administration's Risk Management Division.

After your claim is investigated, you will receive a letter from the Minnesota Management & Business' Workers' Compensation Program. This letter will tell you the name of your assigned claims specialist and their contact information. The claim specialist will determine your eligibility for compensation.

The Workers' Compensation Program will replace up to two-thirds of your gross weekly wage, subject to certain maximum and minimum requirements if:

  • Your claim is approved and
  • You miss more than three days of work due to the injury.

Benefits are not paid for the first three calendar days of your injury or illness unless your disability continues for 10 calendar days or longer.

You may be eligible for payments for medical appointments and out of pocket expenses related to the injury. Ask your assigned claims specialist for specific details.

Before returning to work, you must submit a Report of Workability form to your supervisor and to the Human Resources office. 

Because workers' compensation only covers up to two-thirds of your gross weekly wage, you may choose to supplement your lost wages. Please contact the Human Resources office to discuss options for supplementing your income. If you choose to supplement your wages, use the Workers' Compensation Leave Supplement form.