Veterans Services and Education Benefits

Whether you are currently serving or separated from the service, you may be eligible for certain education benefits.

Education benefits will vary depending on your branch of service, length and type of service, and current military status. Some examples of military education benefits are the GI Bill®, Federal Tuition Assistance, State Tuition Assistance and Minnesota GI Bill.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website.

Admissions for Veterans

To qualify for veteran education benefits, you must apply to and be accepted into a program major at Anoka Technical College

  1. Apply for admission to the College
  2. Take the Accuplacer test
  3. Apply for Veterans Education Benefits through the VA website
    Once the VA has approved your application, they will issue a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) or Statement of Benefits to you. Submit a copy of your COE and DD214 to the Anoka Technical College School Certifying Official (SCO) via email at or in person to the Records Office, Rm 104. If you are in the Selective Reserve or National Guard, a Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE) is required in lieu of a DD214. 
  4. Apply for Financial Aid
  5. Attend orientation and register for classes
  6. Once the SCO has received your documentation and you have registered for classes, your enrollment will be certified with the VA. If you have questions, contact the SCO at or 763-576-7740.

College Services for Veterans

Anoka Technical College's vision is to honor veterans and their families for their service to our country by providing you with the finest career and technical education in Minnesota.

Services for Veterans, Reservists and Families

  • Career Exploration
  • Enrollment and Success Coaching
  • Program Advising
  • Registration Support
  • Military Benefits Assistance
  • Financial Aid Assistance
  • Peer Tutoring and Mentoring
  • Job Placement

The Veterans Center on Campus Rm 333

A great place for you to:

  • get information and assistance for veterans benefits and services.
  • hang out with other veterans and service members.
  • find a quiet place to study.

Credentials and Accreditation

For information about Anoka Technical College's accreditation, please visit the accreditation page.

Program Accreditation 
Information about program accreditation, specific credentials earned, and program requirements, visit the program accreditation page.

Program Guides & Gainful Employment Disclosures

At Anoka Technical College, you can choose from 35+ Associate of Applied Science (AAS) degrees, diplomas and certificates to help fast track your way into a solid career. Faculty members have years of industry experience and countless connections to ensure that you have the knowledge and skills you need to enter the workforce, achieve your career goals and prepare for a successful future.

Program guides are available for each program to assist students with certificate or degree planning. Gainful employment disclosures for each program are available to help students understand average indebtedness and career placement after the certificate or degree is completed. For more information on program guides and each program's gainful employment disclosure visit our programs page.

Federal GI BillĀ®

Service members can receive up to 45 months of education assistance through the GI Bill® when enrolled on a full-time or part-time basis in a VA approved program.

Students who are eligible to receive VA education benefits may fall into one of the following categories (chapters):

Federal Tuition Assistance

Federal tuition assistance is an education benefit paid to qualifying service members of the Air Force, Army, Coast Guard, Marines, Navy, and Space Force. Each service area has established its own application process, criteria for eligibility, and restrictions. Service members eligible for military TA should apply as follows
  • Air Force
  • Army
  • Coast Guard – Contact Commanding Officer for application
  • Marines – Contact Commanding Officer for application
  • Navy

Return of Tuition Assistance (TA)

Tuition Assistance (TA) is awarded to a student under the assumption that the student will attend school for the entire period for which the assistance is awarded. When a student withdraws, the student may no longer be eligible for the full amount of TA funds originally awarded. To remain in compliance with the Department of Defense’s (DoD) policy, Anoka Technical College will return any unearned TA funds through at least 60% of the semester on a prorated basis. The amount of unearned TA that is returned is based on the date of withdrawal from the course. After 60% of the semester has passed, TA will not be evaluated for return to the DoD.

Return of unearned Tuition Assistance

16-week Course Withdraw submitted

  • Before or during weeks 1-2: 100% return
  • During weeks 3 - 4: 75% return
  • During weeks 5 - 8: 50% return
  • During weeks 9 - 10: 40% return (60% of course is completed)
  • During weeks 11 - 16: 0% return

8-Week Course Withdraw submitted

  • Before or during week 1: 100 % return
  • During week 2: 75% return
  • During weeks 3 - 4: 50% return
  • During week 5: 40% return (60% of course is completed)
  • During weeks 6 - 8: 0% return

5-Week Course Withdraw submitted

  • Day 1-7100% return
  • Day 877% return
  • Day 974% return
  • Day 10: 71% return
  • Day 11:  69% return
  • Day 12: 66% return
  • Day 13: 63% return
  • Day 14:  60% return
  • Day 15:  57% return
  • Day 16:  54% return
  • Day 17:  51% return
  • Day 18: 49% return
  • Day 19: 46% return
  • Day 20:  43% return
  • Day 2140% return (60% of course is completed)
  • Day 22: 0% return

For courses that have durations, differing from those listed above:

Unearned TA funds will be returned on a prorated basis, depending on the length of the course. To determine the amount of TA that needs to be returned, Anoka Technical College will determine the date the student withdrew, and then divide that by the number of days the course meets to determine the percentage of TA that was earned by the student. Example: The student enrolled in a course that met for 30 days and withdrew on the 14th day. (14/30=46.6%. 47% of the TA funds were earned by the student, therefore 53% would be returned to the DoD.

Financial Aid for Veterans

1. Apply for your Federal Student Aid (FSA) ID
Each student (and one parent, if you are a dependent student) must create a Federal Student Aid (FSA) ID. The FSA ID will allow you to electronically sign your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), change your address, view the processing status of your FAFSA application, view your loan history or previous loan history and much more. Click here to create your FSA ID. Carefully read all information on this website. Your FSA ID should be kept in a safe, confidential location. The FSA ID login information that you create will be used each year you apply for financial aid.

2. Complete the FAFSA
Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). By completing the FAFSA, you are applying for all types of federal and state financial aid, including grants, work-study and loans.

We recommend that you file the FAFSA electronically at, if possible. The FAFSA application is first available on Oct. 1 of the prior calendar year for the fall semester (for example, the FAFSA application will be available on Oct.1, 2022 for the Fall 2023 academic year). The college's priority FAFSA Deadline for fall 2023 - summer 2024 is July 15. Representatives in the Financial Aid Office are available to assist students with completion of the FAFSA. You will need your federal income tax information for the appropriate year and FSA ID to complete the FAFSA. A list of necessary documents and financials needed to apply is available here.

If you are unable to file your FAFSA electronically, you must complete and mail the paper version of the form. You may obtain a paper FAFSA by calling Federal Student Aid at 1-800-433-3243. Whichever application you use, be sure to carefully follow all instructions and apply only once.

NOTE: You must be an admitted student at Anoka Technical College to receive a financial aid award notification listing the grants, loans, and other aid you are eligible to receive. The only exception to this is if you are only receiving federal veteran's benefits.

3. Types of Financial Aid
Both Federal and State Financial Aid programs (including grants and loans) are available for veterans to utilize in conjunction with federal veterans benefits and tuition reimbursement. A detailed shopping sheet is available in the Financial Aid area of eServices, which outlines common aid programs available to students, as well as cost of attendance information (once logged into eServices, click on "Financial Aid" and "Shopping Sheet"). Federal Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans and Private Education Loans are available to all students to assist with the cost of attending college. Students have the ability to refuse all or portions of the loan amounts available to them.

4. Other Aid Programs for Veterans
Veterans may also be eligible to receive benefits through the Minnesota GI Bill program. This program awards veterans additional aid if they have remaining need after VA benefits, federal/state financial aid, and other grants/scholarships have been considered. The annual limit for receipt of Minnesota GI Bill funds is $3,000 and the lifetime maximum is $10,000. For more information on the Minnesota GI Bill program, visit the Minnesota Department of Veterans Affairs website.

For more information on Financial Aid eligibility requirements, visit the Financial Aid homepage. Remember to contact the Financial Aid Office with questions about your eligibility, timelines, or the application process. Our standard office hours are listed below:

Fall and Spring Semesters
Monday - Thursday: 7:30 am to 4:30 pm
Fridays: 7:30 am to 4 pm

Mid-May through Mid-August
Monday - Thursday: 7:30 am to 5 pm
Fridays: 7:30 to 11:30 am

Minnesota GI Bill

The Minnesota GI Bill program was established in 2007 to provide postsecondary financial assistance to eligible Minnesota veterans who served on or after Sept.11, 2001. Full-time undergraduate or graduate students may be eligible to receive up to $1,000 per semester or term and part-time students may be eligible to receive up to $500 per semester or term.

Eligibility Requirements

You must be a Minnesota resident enrolled at Minnesota institutions who is a:

  • Veteran who is serving or has served honorably in any branch of the United States armed forces at any time on or after Sept. 11, 2001, or;
  • Non-veteran who has served honorably for a total of five years or more cumulatively as a member of the Minnesota National Guard or any other active or reserve component of the U.S. armed forces, and any part of that service occurred on or after Sept. 11, 2001, or;
  • Spouse or child of a person who has served in the military at any time on or after Sept. 11, 2001, and who has died or has a total and permanent disability as a direct result of that military service.

Veterans benefits and federal and state aid may impact the actual amount received. Students wishing to use the Minnesota GI Bill must first complete a FAFSA. Applications can be found at

MN State Statute 197.791

State Tuition Reimbursement

This benefit is only available to current members of the Minnesota Army and Air National Guard and may be used in conjunction with the GI Bill® and Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA). The lifetime maximum State Tuition Reimbursement (STR)  benefit is 208 quarter or 144 semester credits. The reimbursement rate is 100% of the undergraduate rate of the University of Minnesota Twin Cities with a maximum yearly benefit of $12,000.00 per fiscal year (01 JUL through 30 JUN).

To apply for STR you MUST contact your unit full-time representative to obligate funds as soon as you know you will be going to school. Like FTA, STR requires a “C” or better to qualify for reimbursement. Army National Guard enlisted soldiers must apply for FTA in order to be eligible to apply for state tuition reimbursement. You can pick up the STR paperwork in the Veterans Resource Center.

To apply, please contact your unit administrator.

Scholarships for Veterans & Family Members

Scholarships for Veterans, family members and other students are available for application on Anoka Technical College's Foundation website under "Foundation Scholarship Program".

Additional scholarship resources are available here.

Veterans Resources and Referrals

Off-Campus Resources

All Minnesota Army and Air National Guard soldiers not activated on U.S. Code Title 10 or Title 32 orders should contact the Minnesota National Guard Education Center.

Minnesota Department of Veterans Affairs
Veterans Service Building
W 12th St, St Paul, MN 55155
Office Phone: 651-296-2562
LinkVet Services Phone: 1-888-LinkVet (546-5838)
International: 1 651-556-0896
TTY: 1-800-627-3529

Visit the Minnesota Dept of Veterans Affairs Benefits and Resources page here.

Minnesota National Guard Education Services
Joint Force Headquarters
20 W 12th St
St. Paul, MN 55155-2098
Phone: 651-282-4589
Fax: 651-282-4125

All Army Reserve soldiers not activated on U.S. Code Title 10 or Title 32 orders should contact the 88th Army Reserve Education Center.

88th RSC MN Army Reserve Education Center
88th RSC - East (MN) Education Office
506 Roeder Circle
Ft. Snelling, MN 55111-2009

Phone: 612-713-3081
Testing Services: 612-713-3432
Fax: 612-713-3365 or 612-713-3225

All regular active and reserve soldiers, members of the Active Guard Reserve and Reserve Component soldiers who are activated under U.S. Code Title 10 or Title 32 (officers, warrant officers, enlisted) should contact the Rock Island Arsenal Education Center.

USAG Rock Island Arsenal
Army Education Center
Building 56, 1st Floor
Rock Island, IL 61299-5000

Phone: 309-782-2065
Fax: 309-782-2808

Hours: 730-1500

While you are the only person who can choose which program meets your needs, meeting with the Higher Education Veterans Program Regional Coordinator and contacts on the Anoka Technical College campus can help you to better understand your options. See Student Services Contacts in the right-hand sidebar.

Anoka Technical College complies with Minnesota Statute 197.775 which exceeds all criteria of Title 38 United States Code Section 3679(e).

Veterans Center

Monday - Friday
8 am to 4 pm
(Summer hours vary)
Rm 333


Veterans School Certifying Official
Angela Homan, Rm 105

Veterans Benefits Assistance
Charles Egerstrom, Rm 333

Student Services Contacts:

Enrollment & Success Coach
Enrollment Services, Room 117

Career Counselor
Troy Scheffel, Rm 190F

Erica Stene-Winkler, Rm 190H

Financial Aid , Rm 106

Office of Accessibility



Peer Tutoring