Credit for Prior Learning

Credit for prior learning is a process in which students get academic credit for learning they have gained through on-the-job experiences, attendance at workshops or conferences, volunteer activities, business ownership, self-study.  It is important to remember that recognition of prior learning is not based on experience but on what has been learned from that experience.


Students must be enrolled in a declared program major at Anoka Technical College to be eligible. Students are unable to receive this assessment if they have previously taken the course or are currently enrolled in it.


The evaluation is $75.00 per credit, and this is a non-refundable fee paid prior to the assessment.


The student is responsible for contacting an instructor to perform the assessment. The instructor performs the assessment and will issue a grade of “P” (Pass), if the student successfully passes.  Students and instructors must complete the appropriate sections of the Credit for Prior Learning Assessment Form. Successful assessments will be recorded on the student’s transcript and Degree Audit Report (DARS).

Prior Learning Portfolio Assessment (Internal Assessment)

  1. To receive credit for prior learning, students must document what they have learned. Students should provide enough information so the learning can be assessed accurately.
  2. Students must write a short paper that describes in detail the learning, including where and how the student learned the material. Students should describe how they have used or are using that learning. Students may include specific equipment or machines used and the length of time spent on each piece.
  3. Students may identify books read, videos watched, or seminars/conferences/workshops attended.
  4. Letters from past or current supervisors or colleagues to verify job responsibilities are also acceptable documentation.
  5. Students may be asked to demonstrate a skill to the instructor.

Credit by Exam (Internal Assessment)

 (Administered by Anoka Tech faculty)

A student may test-out of certain parts of the curriculum (with faculty approval). Test-outs will be constructed by the instructor and reflect the content of the course identified in the course syllabus. A minimum cut-off score will be used to determine pass or fail by each department. A test-out must be completed within the drop/add period at the beginning of the term. The cost per credit is $75.

College Level Exam Program (CLEP)

CLEP examinations are designed to assess student mastery of introductory college course material in particular subject areas. A student may earn college credits by achieving a specified level of performance on a CLEP examination. Anoka Technical College shall grant credit for CLEP examinations according to MnSCU Board of Trustees Policies and Procedure which are located at

Advanced Placement (AP) Exams

The Advanced Placement (AP) Program provides high school students the opportunity to participate in classes that are more rigorous and more in-depth than other high school offerings.  The College Board evaluates and recommends credit for each score of three or more on the five point Advanced Placement exams.  A maximum of 18 Minnesota Transfer Curriculum general education credits by means of the AP program may be applied toward an Associate of Applied Science degree or diploma.

Articulated College Credit (Tech Prep)

Students who have obtained a valid Tech Prep certificate for one or more courses from their high school should present the certificate(s) to the Office of Records and Registration at the time of registration.  The student will receive transfer credits for these courses and the course(s) will be designated on the student’s transcript as a transfer.  The certificates are valid for three years from the date of issue.

Military Education and Experience

Anoka Tech is a Service members Opportunity College (SOC) and will consider academic credit for military education and experience gained while on active duty.  An official copy of the student’s SMART or AARTS transcript is required for evaluation and should be submitted to the Office of Records and Registration.