At Anoka Technical College, placement testing is used to assess current skills levels in reading, writing and math. Although the test is not pass/fail, results do determine what course placements are most appropriate for student success. ACCUPLACER Assessment is needed for acceptance but due to COVID-19 all Minnesota State institutions are implementing new placement methods that look at a variety of academic factors. After your application has been received, you will be contacted by a member of Enrollment Services with your next steps for acceptance.
Why taking time to do your best matters
Students who score at the college-level will save significant tuition and textbook dollars that may otherwise be necessary for developmental or remedial coursework. Remedial courses do not count toward a certificate, diploma or degree and typically do not transfer.
Know before you go
- ACCUPLACER testing via Zoom (video conferencing) is available to Anoka Technical College applicants and current students by appointment only. Contact Testing Services OR Enrollment Services for more information.
- The Testing Center is located in Rm 103, near the main entrance to the college (currently suspended).
- View the ACCUPLACER Test Schedule for walk-in testing days and times for current or prospective students (currently suspended).
- ACCUPLACER testing from another location (remote site) OR for another school requires a voucher and is by appointment only (currently suspended).
- Students will be required to show a current Photo ID.
- Hand-held calculators are not permitted. An electronic calculator will be provided on some questions, but not all. Scratch paper and pencil will be provided. Additionally. the following items will not be permitted in the testing room: food, beverages, backpacks, purses, cell phones, watches, electronic devices, sunglasses and hats.
- The test is not timed. Most students finish in 1.5 to 2 hours.
- Results are immediate and help students select courses.
Prepare for ACCUPLACER
Students are strongly encouraged to study before testing.
On Sept. 19, 2019 Anoka Technical College converted to the Next Generation ACCUPLACER version. Click the blue link below under the "Resources" section to view each document of the Official Next-Gen ACCUPLACER sample questions.
At Anoka Tech, students should prepare to take the following sub-tests:
Students enrolling in programs that include college-level math coursework may also take these sub-tests:
- Quantitative Reasoning, Algebra, and Statistics (QAS)
- Advanced Algebra and Functions (AAF)
ACCUPLACER Test Schedule
ACCUPLACER Walk-in Hours
Due to our current situation regarding Coronavirus (COVID-19), all in-person testing services are suspended until further notice.
In absence of in-person testing, Anoka Technical College is now offering ACCUPLACER testing via Zoom, video conferencing. This is available to Anoka Technical College applicants and current students who meet the following technology requirements:
Computer/laptop with a stable internet connection, a webcam and headphones. NOTE: cellphones, iPads, Surface and other tablets will not work.
In order to schedule your ACCUPLACER test via Zoom, please contact:
Testing Services at TestingServices@anokatech.edu OR Enrollment Services at EnrollmentServices@anokatech.edu
Fall and Spring Semester Walk-in ACCUPLACER Hours (Currently Suspended)
Monday, Tuesday and Thursday:
Sign-in on a walk-in basis:
- Anytime between 8 am and 2 pm
- Testing lab closes at 3:30 pm
*Walk-in Hours are for current or prospective students ONLY. Remote ACCUPLACER testing (testing for another school) is by appointment ONLY.
- Sept. 25: Testing Center will be closed for Staff Development day.
*Please note, the Testing Center is closed during all college closures and holidays. See college calendar(s) for more details.
2019 - 2020 Anoka Technical College Calendar
2020 - 2021 Anoka Technical College Calendar
Policy 4.3.1 Weather and Emergency Closings or Cancellations
- Fall Semester 2019: Aug. 26 - Dec. 20
- Spring Semester 2020: Jan. 13 - May 15
- Summer Semester 2020: May 26 - July 17
Policy 3.2 Children in Classrooms
Children are not permitted in the Testing Center and must not be left unattended.
How to Obtain a Minnesota ID Card - Find DVS Office Locations
Click the link below for course-specific placement information.
*Please note some programs may have course-specific admission requirements. Refer to your program guide for more details.
View Placement Chart
Qualifying ACT, MCA and SAT Scores
Students who demonstrate readiness to succeed in college with qualifying ACT, MCA or SAT test scores will not be required to take all or part of ACCUPLACER. Exemption is based on documentation of scores equal to or above
the Minnesota State
system-endorsed minimum qualifying scores noted below.
ACT Minimum Qualifying Scores
MCA Minimum Qualifying Scores
SAT Minimum Qualifying Scores
- 480 Evidence-based Reading and Writing
- 530 Mathematics
: ACT, MCA and SAT scores are valid for five (5) years, inclusive of the current calendar year.
Students who wish to utilize their ACT or SAT scores are responsible to forward an official copy to:
Anoka Technical College
ATTN: Records Office
1355 W HWY 10
Anoka MN 55303
Students can request that MCA scores be sent to Anoka Tech by (1) contacting their high school directly or (2) signing the High School Release of Information
form on the Anoka Tech Undergraduate Online Application
Placement Charts: Qualifying test scores may facilitate registration into college-level courses that have prerequisites based on correlating ACCUPLACER scores. Students should refer to their selected program plan for details about their program and course requirements.
Students with degrees / transfer students
Students who have completed a college-level math or English course at another college, or who hold an associate's or bachelor's degree from an accredited U.S. institution of higher learning, may send an official copy of their transcript to the Records Office to be reviewed for possible waiver from all or parts of ACCUPLACER.
- Students who have previously attended a Minnesota State college or university - Anoka Tech can retrieve your transcript free of charge.
- Students who have attended a non-Minnesota State institution - send a transcript to Anoka Technical College, ATTN Records Office, 1355 W HWY 10, Anoka MN 55303.
Students applying for the Practical Nursing program cannot be exempted from taking ACCUPLACER based on previous coursework from other institutions.
Request Test Accommodations
The Office of Accessibility provides services for students, faculty and staff with a permanent or temporary disability.
Test accommodations are determined on an individual basis during review of documentation between the person requesting services and the Office of Accessibility. To arrange a meeting, contact the Office of Accessibility at 763-576-4073 or Office of Accessibility
Appointments should be made well ahead of the intended test date to allow time for processing and implementation of approved accommodations. See Office of Accessibility website for more information.
Office of Accessibility
Students not satisfied with their placements may retest only once (per test section) within twelve (12) months of the first testing date.
There is a $10 retest fee for each retest.
Students are strongly encouraged to review before retesting.
There is no waiting period prior to retesting, with the exception of students retesting to meet federal Ability to Benefit guidelines.
Test from another MN STATE campus
Students have the option to take their ACCUPLACER from the Minnesota State institution closest to them. Follow the steps below to find the nearest campus:
- Find a Remote Testing Center.
- Email Testing Center staff at Anoka Tech to request a Remote Test Voucher. Include the location of your desired test center.
- The Remote Test Voucher will be sent to your email address. Read the voucher for important remote test site information and follow instructions to schedule the test. Print the voucher and bring it with you when you test.
Test results will be available to you immediately following your test. Contact ATC Enrollment Services for next-step advisement.
Questions? Send an email to Testing Center staff.
Test from an Out-of-State Location
Students who wish to test for Anoka Technical College from an out-of-state location may do so by locating an approved proctor from a Testing Center closer to their current location. If a proctor fee is required, students are responsible for payment.
- Send an email to Testing Center staff to request a Remote Test Voucher.
- Testing Center staff will work with you to find a campus that's a member of the Remote Testing Network.
- Staff will issue and email the Remote Test Voucher to you.
- Read the voucher for important remote test site information and follow instructions to schedule the test. Print the voucher and bring it with you when you test.
Test results will be available to you immediately following your test. Please then contact Enrollment Services staff for next-step direction.
Get Copy of Test Results
View Test Results
To view test results for all ACCUPLACER tests taken within the Minnesota State system: log in to eServices > Grades & Transcripts > Interactive Degree Audit Report
Send Scores to Another Institution
- Minnesota State: ACCUPLACER assessment data is auto-loaded to the Minnesota State system database therefore test results are already visible to other system campuses.
- All Other: Print, complete and return the Request for ACCUPLACER Score Report form per the instructions noted on the form. Scores are released within seven (7) working days.
Ability to Benefit
General Student Admission
To qualify for federal student aid students must possess a high school diploma or GED, or achieve qualifying Ability to Benefit Accuplacer scores set by the federal government:
Basic Eligibility Criteria
- Reading Comprehension 233
- Sentence Skills 235
- Arithmetic 230
- qualify for federal student aid (grants, loans, and work-study)
Earn your GED
- work with Metro North Adult Basic Education, conveniently located on-campus, in the Student Success Center, Room 190